Thursday, March 29, 2007

Depende

Don´t want to speak for Lucia, but I think we both enjoyed hiking immensely. We arrived at the Santa Elena Reserve too late to take a guided tour. The Bible (Lonely Planet, henceforth known as LP, and for that matter I hope you can deal with CR=Costa Rica) had said you should basically just throw in the towel and go home rather than hike on your own. But after much circular debating, which mostly involved debating aloud with myself, we decided to forge ahead unaccompanied. Five minutes in, it became clear that we needed to move at different paces to accomplish each of our goals. (I recall, as if it were yesterday, 3 weeks of hiking with a previous travel companion in which I was always pushing to move faster and admire less, much to my companion´s dismay.)
I´ve come to realize that my definition of ¨hiking¨is indeed different from that of the general population. The whole nature thing- pish posh. What I need out of a good hike is an extreme challenge, interesting terrain, lots of sweating and cursing and panting. (Yes, I am still talking about hiking.) I don´t so much care about my surroundings as long as the weather is comfortable- again my definition differs from everyone else´s by 20 degrees- and the ground steady enough to keep up a fast clip. This morning, in 3 hours, I traversed a distance that the general population is advised will take 7.5 hours. I feel pretty good about that, but if I ever move to Costa Rica, I´ll probably try to shave an hour off my time.

You might think I didn´t appreciate Mother Nature at all, but let me tell you- es falso. It happened at the intersection of the Encantado trail and the Caño Negro trail. I had paused to get an audio clip of howler monkeys and take a few pictures (yes, I do that too)... and there it was. Fast approaching. A creation of perfect form, physique, coloring, and stature. Seriously, the hottest backpacker I´ve ever seen. This is the only photograph I regret not getting.
Lucia saw and spoke with him too. They shared a moment over a howler monkey sighting. Lucia apparently saw multiple howler monkeys and swears she saw a quetzal, although this claim has elicited somewhat dubious reactions from others. But I hope this made the morning worthwhile for her, because I really enjoyed mine.

On the drive back, I decided that I had seen the cloud forest well enough that my experience wouldn´t be enhanced by seeing it fly by me on a zipline. Plus, I´ve already done a zipline tour (and paid 3x as much for it as they charge here). I am really getting off on speaking horrifically bad Spanish with the locals and think that would make a better afternoon. However, for some reason Lucia does not want to go ziplining if I don´t go, thus I will be saddled with illogical guilt for the rest of the afternoon. How would I say that en español?

Special shout out to Patrick for the verbal encouragement! I will try to befriend more underage males to make this more interesting for you.

3 comments:

11frogs said...

Guilt is definitely 'culpabilidad' and I'm going to go ahead and get cognate happy and say illogical is 'ilogico', so culpabilidad ilogica.
Glad you guys are having a great time! I do believe I'll hold off on the Latin America Lite trip for awhile. I'm due for a vacation in a completely developed country - like a spa in the S. of France or something - and then I'm back to Third World loveliness :)
Que disfruten las vistas - de la naturaleza y de los chicos! Can't wait to see the pictures.

loud said...

I could use a hot backpacker...

Unknown said...

7.5 hour trek in 3 hours. Oh my. Gonzo. And you probably had five pee breaks too.

Spanish word of the Day = Pencil Sharpener = Sacapuntas