Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Of horses and a million stairs

Lucia: warning, I have not read Sara's blog entries from earlier. I wanted you to hear my story in my own bland boring way :) - something about Costa Rica is making me not funny.
Yesterday Sara went canyoning in the morning. By the way, I think that canyoning is a bullshit word, developed by someone that wanted to capture more tourist business and I hate using it. perhaps I will just put it in italics to indicate my distain.
Sara went "canyoning" in the morning, so by afternoon I was ready to go do something. I chose horseback riding to the La Fortuna waterfall.
One, I see now that Sara and I had dressed poorly for the event. she had on shorts flip flops and I had on longer shorts and chacos, but you know how cowboys always have on long jeans and boots, yeah, that isn't just a fashion statement.
Then, I get Pechugo as my horse. Pechugo, if you can hear me, I feel so bad for you. I am sorry and I really should have brought apples or carrots or something for you.
So, we are climbing up these hills and Pechugo is sweating. I mean really dripping with sweat. I am feeling so guilty!
Then we get to the top, tie up the horse and walk up to the scenic lookout. it was a beautiful view of another waterfall (catarata in espanol). umm, where is our waterfall? just 300 steep and winding stairs down this cliff! oh, great.
I fell down a stair and broke my leg last year, but our tour guide doesn't know that, so I am taking my sweet time moving down the stairs, (also, my thighs were shaking... really need to work out some more) and I am sure that he just thought I was terribly out of shape.
we get to the bottom and the waterfall is beautiful. I am sure when ever we get the pictures posted they will be wonderful and I will wonder what all of this bellyaching is about.
anyhow, Sara clambors over a bunch of rocks to go closer to the falls, and I dont' want to just follow her. I need to find my own vista! I climb into the water and over a bunch of rocks. I can hear my mother yelling from the beach that I am going to twist an ankle and that I should be careful. I finally get to a dry rock, the view is great. I get my 35 mm camera out of the ziploc from the backpack on my back (oh, the back pack story, I bet that Sara covers this in her section) and get a couple good pictures. of course with the traditional film you don't know if these picture will be good or not, but I am hopeful.
then I sit and wait for Sara to return. she still isn't coming around the bend, so I figure I better start getting off these rocks. I start off, but I sort of lose my balance and splash! I fall into the pool below the rocks. umm, hope that there was nothing that wasn't waterproof in the bag... like a 35 mm camera.
so, finally we climb up 300 steep and winding steps through the jungle. the area was amazingly beautiful and scenic, which is why every ten steps I stopped to look around. not because my heartrate was 190/min and my legs wouldn't go any further. nope, it was because of the scenic natural beauty.
luckily Sara spent the entire time practicing her spanish with Alan, so I don't know if they were terribly inconvenienced by all the time that I spent admiring the natural beauty.
Then, wow, we get to get on our horses again. yeah. I mean Yeah! this is what I paid 30 bucks for, enjoy it Lucia!
surprisingly it was easier and shorter on the way back, I enjoyed the riding. I think that I want to take riding lessons this summer in Madison now. I emphasize lessons since I know that it has to be easier to do than it was on this trip.
Lucia
PS I was dead asleep by 8pm.

No comments: