Sunday, March 25, 2007

Not ready to go, at least not mentally

While Lucia's preparations involved contributions from Big Head, mine involved a lack of using my head. This morning I decided to check my itinerary one last time and realized my flight was actually last night. "Realized" meaning that in the next few seconds, I experienced the entire grieving process over the destruction of my self image as an detail-oriented (anal) individual. Disbelief was followed by shock, hysteria, and a truly venerable string of F-bombs. Luckily with the aid of a helpful Travelocity representative, who was likely from the motherland (e.g. "your confirmation number is W as in Vhiskey..."), and another kind man at TACA/LACSA airlines (don't ask), I am now back on track with the itinerary that I thought I had all along- though with $100 less spending money.

As a member of my generation, I feel I must find an external source to blame for my mistake, and I've settled on the title of this blog. Wikipedia defines Ticos/Ticas as "normally very friendly, helpful, laid-back, unhurried, educated, hygienic, non-violent and environmentally aware people. They worry little about deadlines and arrive late to many appointments." Thus, as a Tica, I clearly can't be blamed for mentally leaving for vacation a day early (and physically leaving a day late). Pura vida!

No comments: